October, 27, 2016
By Sam Dangremond
One might expect the Culinary Institute of America, whose Hyde Park, New York campus churns out some of the top young chefs in the country, to serve the best food of any college.
But in fact, it's the University of California-Los Angeles that's been declared the best for on-campus dining among our nation's higher education institutions (The C.I.A. was number four, after Virginia Tech and Washington University in St. Louis).
Here's the ranking of the best college food in America, which is "based on meal plan costs and student reviews." Niche, which compiles data on educational institutions, assessed 1,384 four-year colleges and universities using statistics obtained from the U.S. Department of Education and student surveys on campus dining. Here are the top 10 schools in its ranking:
1. University of California—Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
2. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
3. Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri
4. Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, New York
5. Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine
6. Bates College, Lewiston, Maine
7. University of Massachusetts—Amherst, Amherst. Massachusetts
8. California Baptist University, Riverside, California
9. James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Virginia
10. University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia